Laser LANAP® Gum Procedure
If you have been told you need scalpel and suture gum surgery, there's a laser alternative you need to learn about.
If you're like 100 million other Americans, you could be one of 50% of Americans who have periodontal disease, the major cause of tooth loss in adults. Periodontal disease starts off as plaque, an opaque film which eventually hardens, forming tartar or calculus. Calculus deposits harbor bacteria which infect the gums. In early stages, this is called Gingivitis, characterized by red, swollen gums that bleed when you brush your teeth. Many people experience bad breath and an unpleasant taste in their mouths as well. Unchecked, Gingivitis progresses to Periodontitis, a much more serious form of the disease where periodontal pockets are formed, separating teeth from the gums and supporting bone structure. Without treatment, infection becomes severe and the pockets deepen, resulting in tooth loss.
The way to repair the damage is to get rid of the infection and close up the pockets. Until now, that meant surgery and sutures.
But today, we offer the FDA approved LANAP® Protocol, a patient-friendly, minimally-invasive procedure that's a great improvement over standard gum surgery.
Why is the LANAP® Procedure better for the treatment of gum disease?
- The LANAP® Procedure is easy - there's no cutting and no suturing.
- There's much less discomfort with the LANAP® Protocol than with standard surgery – during and after the procedure.
- It takes less time than traditional surgery. Usually it takes is two 2-hour visits to the dentist and two follow up visits. Traditional surgery requires several more visits.
- LANAP® gives better, longer-lasting results. In fact, 98% of LANAP® treated patients remain stable after five years.
- We will recommend a soft diet for a day or two, and common sense should prevail, but in most cases, you feel good enough to eat anything they want right after the procedure.
- Following traditional surgery, recovery can take between to 2-4 weeks during which you can experience considerable pain and swelling, with diet restrictions.
- There's less than 24 hour recovery period, so you won't lose time from work.
- The LANAP® Procedure is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin.